This is a French faience milk pitcher (pot à lait ) with a brown glaze ” terre carmélite “. A fine example by the renowned French faiencerie Sarreguemines. It is clearly marked with the impressed Sarreguemines mark, France and the numeric code 6B in black, c.1910.
Sarreguemines: Two Centuries of Faience
- 1790 Production started in 1790 when Nicolas-Henri Jacobi, set up the first factory despite the unfavourable economic climate. Napoleon I became one of his best customers and ordered several pieces. The business expanded so much that he had to open new workshops .
- 1800 Paul Utzschneider took over the factory and introduced new decorating techniques.
- 1810 New lands colored appear: terre carmélite (brown), terre d’Egypte (black) and terre de Naples (yelow).
- 1836 Utzschneider handed over the management of the factory to his son-in-law, Alexandre de Geiger.
- 1838 Alexandre de Geiger associated himself with Villeroy & Boch. This agreement contributed to the growth of production.
- 1871 Following the annexation of the Moselle to Germany, Alexandre de Geiger left Sarreguemines and retired in Paris. His son, Paul de Geiger, took over the management. Two new factories were constructed at Digoin and Vitry-le-François.
- 1913 The Utzschneider & Cie was split into two companies, one responsible for the establishment in Sarreguemines and the other for the French factories.
- 1919 After the First World War, they were united under the name of Sarreguemines – Digoin – Vitry-le-François and run by the Cazal family.
- 1940-1944 During the Second World War,the faience factories were sequestered and their management entrusted to Villeroy & Boch between 1942 and 1944.
- 1979 After stopping production of porcelain and majolica, the company was bought over by the Lunéville – Badonviller – Saint Clément group, and then took the name of Sarreguemines – Bâtiment in 1982.
- Today Sarreguemines Vaisselle remains one of the leading porcelain manufacturers in the world. The factory produces about 5000 tons of porcelain each year or about 13 million pieces.
The Sarreguemines Faience
The term faience comes from a kind of brightly-colored glazed earthenware developed during the Renaissance in France and Italy. The word is derived from Faenza, a town in Italy, where factories making the tin-glazed earthenware called majolica were prevalent.